Thursday, February 19, 2015

Midnight Dreary

I finished my first mixed media art piece. In my last post I showed you which of my mixed media works in progress was my favorite, and of course that's the one I completed first. Here's the finished product:
I'm calling this piece "Midnight Dreary".
I started with pictures from old magazines. After I found clippings I liked -- these particular ones all containing some quaint architectural elements -- I used Mod Podge to adhere them all to my base cardstock. Then, once I had that initial canvas, I had to decide what to do with it.

Although I love to read, I've never been a big fan of poetry. That being said, though, I do enjoy the eerie poems of Edgar Allan Poe. My favorite Poe poem is "The Raven", which is what inspired my final touches of this mixed media art piece. I decided to add two of my favorite lines from the poem -- "Once upon a midnight dreary" and "Quoth the raven, 'Nevermore.' " -- to this piece of mine. I wanted the paper on which the quotes were printed to look aged, so I tore them so that the edges would be frayed, and then I stained the paper slips with coffee. And, I drew a little raven on cardstock paper to add to the mix. Then I pulled the Mod Podge back out and adhered the quotes and raven drawing, and applied a final coating of Mod Podge over the whole thing.
I prefer to use glossy Mod Podge, as I like the sheen and texture it gives the final product. However, being a novice photographer at best, I find it difficult to capture just the right picture of my glossy Mod Podged pieces. Nevertheless, I tried various angles and lighting in order to capture the gloss and texture of the Mod Podge finish I used. So, here's another picture of my "Midnight Dreary" piece, this one giving a little indication of the textured, glossy finish:
I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment